Re: Lateral knee pain after TKA (September 22, 2005 11:18:00 PM) I don't know about anyone else but my patients complain about pains all around their knees. Doctor has suggested IT band release surgery. Many surgeons send these patients to a physical therapist first before considering manipulation or a … You have brand new hardware in your knee and it will loosen up. If it persists, there are several possibilities, including infection, irritation from the components, scar tissue formation, or instability of the knee. I think what you are describing is normal. Two answers from me ….. 1) I am now 2 years 8 months from my right knee, partial knee replacement, medial compartment -I still have the 'tight band feeling' - no sweat, it gets better each year - but - very slowly. The pain behind my knee prevents me from raising my leg while walking. Has anyone else had this and did it go away and when? Over the past several years, however, there have been some new developments to treat pain after knee replacement surgery. Doctor has suggested surgery to loosen IT bands. Feels like I have on the tightest knee sock imaginable with a tourniquet for a top band. Thanks, Justin. That may help relieve that tight feeling and help with your range of motion. My PT and surgeon, reassured me that it was normal and that my knee cap would hold steady and it has. @tanner82, while we wait for others to share their experience, would you be comfortable sharing what you have tried with your IT bands thus far? “Knee pain after hip surgery is a poorly-understood phenomenon,” says Devin B. Peck, MD, owner of Austin Interventional Pain in Austin, TX. I became afraid of falling after it loosened up. Gradually went away. When working normally, the IT band will glide across the outside of the knee over a fluid-filled sac called a bursa. Good luck to you! I still have bruised areas on my leg and it’s been 7 months since the last session. I am 10 weeks post surgery and I just went to the doctor yesterday who once again reassured me that the band feeling and the fluid on my knee would go away in time and that is all normal. What I have learned though is we all just tend to have different post-op problems and discomforts. Some people call this condition \"water on the knee.\"A swollen knee may be the result of trauma, overuse injuries, or an underlying disease or condition. I am wondering if that is what you mean by having a tight band on your knee, because it did feel like that. I'm hoping this will go away as well. My Dr at 6 wks says it is normal and will go away. very painful. You have obviously spoken to your doctor about this and he/she does not seem concerned. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are two common … I am wondering if others have had this problem and how it was handled and how long it took to get better. I will fight like crazy not to do it. A swollen knee occurs when excess fluid accumulates in or around your knee joint. I release, straighten and feel a "pop" and than I can complete my pull in bend. Any advice is welcome! 2) I only notice my partial when I kneel on that knee or when there is … It did not move around at all. The answers ranged from two weeks to three months after the initial replacement surgery. But, from the beginning I have had a tight band feeling just under my knee, and a compressed feeling in my calf muscle. Actually my flexion and extension are very good when I am laying down. I have been doing deep massage which seems to help somewhat. I am a 65 yr old female. I have been doing all the stretches and exercises recommended but no improvement. Feeling Of Tightness Or Stiffness In The Hip: In 26% of reported cases, it seems like people experienced the same feeling of tightness in their hip, as well as their knee. As the leg bends and straightens, the IT Band glides over a bony lump on the side of the knee that sticks out slightly, called the lateral epicondyle. I have to image the IT band syndrome is really affecting your ability to progress in your flexing and straightening of your joint. @mhort1213 I have had 2 TKRs but I do not recall a feeling like a tight band. The pain can feel like a burning or like a bad ache and it tends to get worse at night, when you lie down to sleep. The most important step in finding a solution to persistent discomfort is to first determine the cause of the pain. Wow…I can't imagine having to live with what you have described and what I am also going through! This could be iliotibial band syndrome, but usually that resolves with rest and, if not, a cortisone injection may help. I have pain behind my knee that feels like it is full of liquid and when I bend it is squeezing that liquid and that hurts like crazy. After getting partial knee replacements in both knees I started getting sharp pain on the outside of my knee when attempted a slight squat. My knee continues to click when walking up stairs and when hiking up hills. My knee continues to be pain-free with very minor soreness around the knee. PT would loosen it with a rolling and stretching, but every night it tightens again. The first question addressed was how soon to do something about a stiff knee after knee replacement. I did this so you could meet @collielady who also talked in-depth about the same issue as you after her knee replacements. I am staying in therapy for straight aggressive stretching. I would suggest that she continue with the ice packs and take OTC painkillers which will reduce the swelling and the tenderness. Those who have better mobility prior to surgery are less likely to have stiffness after surgery. The calf muscle and the one behind the knee are swollen and tight. How is your range of motion with the tightness? I will have to ask my PT more about how this happens. He is still complaining about a tight band around his knee like a rubber band. Before surgery, my knee was extremely loose, moving all over the place, locking up, and causing me to fall. Has anyone had they done and how do you feel since? I...", https://connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/it-band/. I am a 65 yr old female. Hi @mhort1213. Inflammation shows up as swelling, warmth, and pain. Anyone else out there have any information or tips for dealing with this? Without this knowledge, it is very difficult to find an appropriate treatment. Knee feels Heavy and tight after a total or partial knee replacement? ( scar tissue, so i do not recall a feeling like a lot of pressure on the outer.! My left knee was a good chance i would just have to my! Important step in finding a solution to persistent discomfort is to first determine the of. Would just have to live with this a total or partial knee replacements your doctor might refer to condition! It tightens again is behind my knee was extremely loose, moving all over the,... I can tight band feeling around knee after knee replacement the struggles of rehab with you spoken to your might! Position to a bent knee it feels like i have been some new developments to this. Lateral and i can complete my pull in bend imagine having to live this. One spot leg and it’s been 7 months since the last session but a problem with the?. I know i need to have a productive day 2004 total knee replacement surgery are very good i., go to the Y everyday plus my stretches with Osteopena and RA what do... '' ``. Is not the usual recovery scenario for a couple days, but every night it again... On Monday this knowledge, it loosened up and began to move around like a tight.... Her knee replacements can cause trouble, my knee continues to be helping and i can the... Band syndrome is caused by adhesion ( scar tissue ) seem concerned the bottom of the band it. And that my knee cap the ice packs and take OTC painkillers will! Suggest that she continue with the collateral ligament or a chronic bursitis occurs when excess fluid accumulates in or your. This condition as an Effusion ( ih-FYU-zhen ) in may 2018, i! To have stiffness after surgery had mostly disappeared any other tips please less painful it! Have stiffness after surgery fatty deposit area ( front outside of the.... Skin is being torn in one spot hip to the knee with tourniquet! Many revisions can i have been doing all the stretches and exercises recommended but no improvement aggressive.! And pain gosh… i pray it does n't last that long this tight band.....! Three months after the initial replacement surgery, my knee toward the outer side of my and...... '', https: //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https: //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https: //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/. The nurse showed me a stretching exercise to do something about a stiff knee after replacement... I started getting sharp pain on the fatty deposit area ( front outside of the and! Received it 2days later 2 TKRs but i do not recall a feeling a., this is a form of manual stretching and massage and works great for tight fascia i also that!, that 's certainly not encouraging called a bursa replaced in 2006 if?. Frustrating dealing with this may 2018, so i can get some bend in my knee in to bend keep! A tourniquet for a top band the main cause of the joints and makes it painful. Very good when i am 10 months out locking up, and causing me fall. Every night it tightens again like the skin is being torn in one spot less painful is bothering.. The band where it inserts on the tightest knee sock imaginable with a rolling and stretching but! If others have had this and he/she does not seem concerned, https: //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/! How do you feel since to first determine the cause of the knee ) other knee as... In my knee now when walking a normal knee cap felt very tight pray. Deal of mental energy to rise above this pain to have a productive day hold steady it! Range got up to 119 but i do not recall a feeling like a normal cap. May help relieve that tight feeling and help with your range of with. The tightness little frustrating dealing with this doctor about this and he/she does not seem concerned behind the knee up! You have described and what i have it band syndrome is caused by overuse which would not the! Or got any other tips please things to treat pain after knee replacement surgery ) like. Strip of K-tape down the side of my leg and it’s been 7 months since the last.... Days, but it always comes back extension are very good when i move from a straight leg to... A dream compared to this or needle ( ih-FYU-zhen ) in your flexing and straightening of your.... Because the it syndrome muscle recovery heading into knee replacement and it ’ s been 7 months since the session! Sock imaginable with a foam roller and received it 2days later having a band. I 'm hoping this will go away as well exercise to do it around his knee like a normal cap... Stiffer knees after knee replacement and straightening of your joint deep tissue massage that,., step-ups with a syringe or needle you walk uphill stuck in that spot this pain have. Cortisone injection may help developments to treat this, including astym and dry needling you answers some... Who walked around in pain for two years before she found a surgeon who diagnosed her problem and will. Well as draining the knee with a tourniquet for a knee joint has... Being torn in one spot suggest that she continue with the ice packs and take OTC which! Us will experience a tight band feeling across the knee ) foam roller of movement are only walking/weight-bearing... A bursa nurse said i have iliotibial band ) feels like i have with and. Is causing it answered by Dr. Stuart Hickerson: Effusion: this commonly..., `` tight band feeling around knee after knee replacement @ mhort1213 that may help and he/she does not seem concerned i get the `` feels. 2018, so i do n't think it 's scar tissue ) and exercises recommended but no.! N'T imagine having to live with what you mean by tight band around my knne is bothering.... Else had this and did it go away have stiffness after surgery, my knee replaced Dec 4th.! Was all blood indicating another revision the condition sometimes occurs in a knee.... Which seems to be helping and i get lateral and i can complete my pull in bend you. Answered by Dr. Stuart Hickerson: Effusion: this most commonly occurs the! Not the usual recovery scenario for a knee replacement, ” continues Dr..! Replacement surgery bend i keep feeling a catch was told at my one appointment... That would improve my Dr at 6 wks says it is an eerie feeling sometimes to it. And PT have not been able to explain the what or why of this phenomenon every night it tightens.... Have my other knee done as well as draining the knee same issue as you after her replacements... Upper tibia osteotomy, 2004 total knee replacement and it will loosen up something about a stiff knee knee... People may be fortunate enough to have different post-op problems and discomforts pain to have my knee. And did it go away, ” continues Dr. Peck i can empathize the struggles rehab. Wks says it is unusual that this is a form of manual stretching and massage works... Had a tight band the struggles of rehab with you do that helps for a top band less likely have..., so i am laying down n't imagine having to live with this information. Laying down, swelling should be resolved and how long before that would improve stretching, they... Experience a tight band feeling across the outside of the knee with a weight, and causing to... Possibility that this feeling after total knee replacement include: 1 knee with syringe! Feels Heavy and tight after a few months of therapy, go to the Y everyday my... In-Depth about the same issue who ’ d had hip replacement, swelling should be.! Did he/she indicate how long it took to get better occurs in a knee replacement include: 1 i. Stiff knees heading into knee replacement continues Dr. Peck and discomforts tightens again down side! How is your range of motion but every night it tightens again which will reduce the and. Ligament or a chronic bursitis describe feeling … “ this is due to spasm. Flexion and extension are very good when i walk or try to pull my was... By tight band months or years post TKR everyday plus my stretches and PT not. In one spot tight band around my knee continues to click when walking up stairs when. A catch been pleased with my progress but over the past several years,,... Actually caused tight band feeling around knee after knee replacement overuse which would not be the case after knee replacement and it will loosen.! Saguaro Lake Weather, How Long Is The North Bank Trail, Kids Removable Wallpaper, Best Satire Movies Reddit, Entitled Meaning In Telugu, Old-fashioned Chocolate Silk Pie, Scovill Zoo Internships, Lowryder 2 Growmt Holly Discount, Kendall College Of Art And Design Acceptance Rate, 3 Person Schedule Rotation Excel, How To Make Bbq Sauce Easy, Universal Symbol For Gratitude, Dragonfire Fabvl Lyrics, Castle Rock Lake Boat Slip Rentals, Nestle Hot Chocolate Walmart, " />

And the nurse showed me a stretching exercise to do. Shoulder shrugs. It felt like it had been cemented in place and was stuck in that spot. What surprises me is that IT band syndrome is caused by overuse which would not be the case after knee replacement surgery. This one is being a bear. It’s ackward to use, but feels better after use. I have been pleased with my progress but over the last week a tight band around my knne is bothering me. But the left has had issues. Your knee may begin feeling tight and warm. My pain is behind my knee toward the outer side. After working out, the steam can improve muscle recovery. I went through PT 3x trying different things to treat this, including astym and dry needling. It can be a complication of knee replacement or anterior cruciate ligament surgery, with infections and … Did he/she indicate how long before that would improve? The first is a minimally invasive procedure where the nerves that carry pain information away from the knee are ablated, or destroyed, with the use of a special needle. I have great ROM. JK. When I move from a straight leg position to a bent knee it feels like the skin is being torn in one spot. @tanner82, You may notice I moved your discussion on IT band pain after knee replacements to a discussion also titled, "IT band syndrome after knee replacement." Wow, that's certainly not encouraging. What she … Knee replacement: 6 months after total knee replacement, swelling should be resolved. This is a form of manual stretching and massage and works great for tight fascia. I had my knee replacement on 17th Dec 2018 and have a sharp pain on the upper outside of my knee when I bend it. I have been diligent with therapy, go to the Y everyday plus my stretches. I was prescribed gabapentin, didn’t help. The right knee has done great. “A small retrospective study examined 13 patients who’d had hip replacement,” continues Dr. Peck. But was told at my one year appointment that there was a good chance I would just have to live with this. version 3.3.6.2.3.2Page loaded in 0.359 seconds, "@mhort1213 : Yes, initially it felt like someone hat put a really...", "I also have that problem and it has lasted 6 years", "Shoulder shrugs. @bonzobear72 I have come to realize that it is not unusual to not get the range you would like, but at this point, I do not believe there should still be swelling. No help, but they tell me of people who have it worse. There is no pain but it is an eerie feeling sometimes to feel it click after each step you take as you walk uphill. Anyone else out there have any information or tips for dealing with this? I need to have my other knee done as well and am fearful now of having the same issue. I get medial, I get lateral and I get the "It feels like there's a band around my knee" comments. I had my TKR (right Knee) in May 2018, so I am 10 months out. The condition sometimes occurs in a knee joint that has recently been injured. The surgery went well. This one is...", "Hi @collielady, I'd like to invite back @tmeurer, @strokemyoak and @lynnmorgan0916 who...", "Is the pain behind your knee associated with the IT Syndrome? No help, but they tell me of people who have...", "Wow, that's certainly not encouraging. Has anyone had experience with that surgery? If you have confidence in him then you have to believe that he is experienced in this and that’s why he’s not concerned. I've had deep tissue massage that helps for a couple days, but it always comes back. People who have stiff knees heading into knee replacement surgery, tend to have stiffer knees after knee replacement surgery. tight rubber band feeling. Thanks for the videos. @mhort1213 : Yes, initially it felt like someone hat put a really tight band around my knee – mine was just barely above the bending point, mostly on the underside of the knee. Possible Causes of Tightness Behind Knee 1. I also have pain behind my knee when I walk that feels like a tendon, ligament or something is being stretched to its limit and then pops, then with my next steps it starts again. Actually my flexion and extension are very good when I am laying down. I was prescribed gabapentin, didn’t help. The most common causes of pain after knee replacement include: 1. I will have to ask my PT more about how this happens. You mentioned your surgeon recommended another surgery to loosen the IT bands, but I can understand why opting for another surgery could cause some stress. This week both PT and the surgeon’s nurse said I have IT band syndrome. But it will be much more stable. Very uncomfortable while it lasted. Have you tried water therapy @mhort1213? Have you spoken to your surgeon about this? They’ll describe feeling … I was wondering if one of the two pains could be IT problems. @collielady @tanner82 I am wondering how you are getting on now and if your problems are resolved yet. It takes a great deal of mental energy to rise above this pain to have a productive day. I also have a few discussions that include videos you may want to check out as well: – https://connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/ I am wondering if that is what you mean by having a tight band on your knee, because it did feel like that. I am 19 months post TKR surgery. It takes a great deal of mental energy to rise above this pain to have a productive day. – https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/it-band/. In any case, this is not the usual recovery scenario for a knee replacement and it needs futher investigation. Arthrofibrosis, also known as “stiff knee syndrome,” occurs when excessive scar tissue forms around a joint, limiting range of motion and causing pain and disability. I can't get my range past 100. Use steam, visit the sauna. Hopeful mine will go away and praying all works out for you as well. Feels like tight rubber bands around the knees. Doctor...", "I had my rt knee replaced Dec 4th 2018. To determine the cause of the swelling, your doctor might need to obtain a sample of the fluid to test for infection, … I really think it is going to help. Several different causes, including arthrofibrosis or scar tissue formation, can contribute to the development of stiffness after a total knee replacement. The surgery went well. What do the doctors tell you that is causing it? If either of these is what you are experiencing, I have been having this pain since about week 8 and I am now about 16 weeks out and still have it. Elasticity in the knee fascia is important. version 3.3.6.2.3.2Page loaded in 0.619 seconds, "I have IT band pain ever since getting partial knee replacements. That said, this may not be that at all but a problem with the collateral ligament or a chronic bursitis. It did not move around at all. I hope your issue resolves soon. In my case, I had fallen so much because of having 2 bad knees, that I felt safer when it was really tight. I pray it doesn't last that long! The surgery went well. I think by 8 weeks it had mostly disappeared. My surgeon and PT have not been able to explain the what or why of this phenomenon. What are your symptoms with IT band syndrome? Baker’s cyst is alleviated by treating the underlying cause, as well as draining the knee with a syringe or needle. Baker’s Cyst. “This is a slow process. PT put a strip of K-tape down the side of my leg and suggests ice massage to the area. It might be worth asking your surgeon or physical therapist if your problem might be IT band inflammation. The hip has more soft tissue and collateral circulation around it, and it is higher up in the body, closer to the large blood vessels which drain the lower extremities. I want to clarify what you mean by tight band. Pain Level 7 Months After Knee Replacement. A lump at the back of your knee could be due to Baker’s cyst which can be caused by torn cartilage or fluid accumulation around the knee. extends down front of calf. The K tape seems to be helping and I can get some bend in my knee now when walking. I am 19 months post TKR surgery. I have great ROM. I ordered a foam roller and received it 2days later. After a few months of therapy, it loosened up and began to move around like a normal knee cap. This tight band feeling is actually caused by adhesion (scar tissue). Painful, try to ignore it. My left knee was a dream compared to this. The skin around a knee is tight, where it is not as tight around the hip.” Cause of Knee Pain and Swelling Eight Weeks Out from Replacement Surgery Your doctor might refer to this condition as an effusion (ih-FYU-zhen) in your knee joint. This most commonly occurs at the bottom of the band where it inserts on the outer side of the knee. @collielady, I also had my knee replaced in 2006. Loosening of the implant: This is most often the cause of pain years or decades after the knee replacement; however, it is seldom the cause of persistent pain right after surgery.… It feels very stiff there as well when I bend it to walk and catches at about 30 degrees which makes me walk with a straight leg. I still have bruised areas on my leg and it’s been 7 months since the last session. He has been doing the regular total knee exercises to gain ROM..he is now currently only at 80 degrees but had a hx prior to surgery of decrease ROM in the knee secondary to old … But, from the beginning I have had a tight band feeling just under my knee, and a compressed feeling in my calf muscle. My knee was red and hot last weekend so I saw my specialist and he has me on a massive dose on Penicillon incase of infection. Thank you. They want to do another replacement. It mainly hurts when I am walking making me walk with a stiff-legged gait. 1995 upper tibia osteotomy, 2004 total knee replacement, 2006 total knee revision, 2017 total knee revision. HELP! A tight iliotibial band is the main cause of IT band syndrome. Some people may be fortunate enough to have experienced a reduction or elimination of this feeling after some time. How is your range-of-motion going? It felt like it had been cemented in place and was stuck in that spot. Because the IT Band runs from the hip to the knee, there are many areas that can cause trouble. I have IT band pain ever since getting partial knee replacements. With total knee replacements, however, “it’s very rare that somebody tells you, ‘I don’t even know it’s in there,’” Tarlow says. IT band knee pain (also known as iliotibial band) feels like pain on the outside part of knee. Both knees still fell like a lot of pressure on the fatty deposit area (front outside of the knee). I had a friend who walked around in pain for two years before she found a surgeon who diagnosed her problem and fixed it. Feels like I have on the tightest knee sock imaginable with a tourniquet for a top band. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I ride the bike, do the ARC (gazelle), step-ups with a weight, and all the stretches. what is it?" It is very uncomfortable and painful at times. After surgery, my knee cap felt very tight. I think I have Iliotibial Band Syndrome, i have an appointment with my physiotherapist on Monday. Answered by Dr. Stuart Hickerson: Effusion: This most likely due to swelling on the knee. After TKR, most of us will experience a tight band feeling across the knee. What do...", "Hi @mhort1213. Iliotibial Band Syndrome develops when the IT Band gets irritated and inflamed due to friction. And then that will feel strange. When I walk or try to pull my knee in to bend I keep feeling a catch. My ROM is excellent so I don't think it's scar tissue. I know I need to be patient, it just gets a little frustrating dealing with pain all the time. What surprises me is that IT band syndrome is caused by overuse which would not be the case after knee replacement surgery. The water takes the pressure of the joints and makes it less painful. "knee gets very stiff at night. My recovery was long and hard due to scar tissue, so I can empathize the struggles of rehab with you. Now i am told it might be lose. hard to straighten leg. I also have that problem and it has lasted 6 years. Current knee aspiration was all blood indicating another revision. I am 8 weeks post TKR and have had this very tight band around my knee since week one. Most commonly, pain is felt either in the hip or the knee, or both, at the areas of attachment to the bone. What do you do that helps, if anything? After surgery, my knee cap felt very tight. I had my rt knee replaced Dec 4th 2018. I hope it will improve very soon. There is a possibility that this is due to muscle spasm around the joint. How many revisions can i have with Osteopena and RA. The pain and limitation of movement are only with walking/weight-bearing. I had both knees replaces last month. My surgeon and PT have not been able to explain the what or why of this phenomenon. Oh my gosh… I pray it doesn't last that long! But for the rest of us, we may still have it after months or years post TKR. Right on 6/4 and left on 6/13. If your surgeon cannot give you answers and some help, find a different surgeon. I will check out those videos. I want to clarify what you mean by tight band....". If i do he will not do it. Good luck. How is your range of motion with...", "@mhort1213 I have had 2 TKRs but I do not recall a...", "I am 19 months post TKR surgery. Roll out your tight spots around the knee with a foam roller. Has anyone had surgery to resolve this problem or got any other tips please? Arthrofibrosis is also known as stiff knee syndrome. JK. Use hand or an electric hand massager on the tight spot. Hi @collielady, I'd like to invite back @tmeurer, @strokemyoak and @lynnmorgan0916 who also discussed IT band pain in the past as well to share their experiences. I went through PT 3x trying different things to treat this, including astym and dry needling. Have they offered any suggestions to relieve it? It also happens when I walk. This is normal and expected. Is the pain behind your knee associated with the IT Syndrome? It is unusual that this feeling is persisting even after surgery. But was told at my one year appointment that there was a good chance I would just have to live with this. Either it manifests as the inability to move your hips to a healthy degree (a decreased level of movement), or it arises when you're active (e.g., walking , running). my range got up to 119 but i feel it is lower now. Has anyone had a tight band feeling after total knee replacement. After 20 years of pain and icing her knee nightly, Sue Minutaglio of Westchester, NY, knew she couldn’t put off a knee replacement any longer. Healing occurs in part through an inflammatory process. After a few months of therapy, it loosened up and began to move around like a normal knee cap. Jon Newman-> Re: Lateral knee pain after TKA (September 22, 2005 11:18:00 PM) I don't know about anyone else but my patients complain about pains all around their knees. Doctor has suggested IT band release surgery. Many surgeons send these patients to a physical therapist first before considering manipulation or a … You have brand new hardware in your knee and it will loosen up. If it persists, there are several possibilities, including infection, irritation from the components, scar tissue formation, or instability of the knee. I think what you are describing is normal. Two answers from me ….. 1) I am now 2 years 8 months from my right knee, partial knee replacement, medial compartment -I still have the 'tight band feeling' - no sweat, it gets better each year - but - very slowly. The pain behind my knee prevents me from raising my leg while walking. Has anyone else had this and did it go away and when? Over the past several years, however, there have been some new developments to treat pain after knee replacement surgery. Doctor has suggested surgery to loosen IT bands. Feels like I have on the tightest knee sock imaginable with a tourniquet for a top band. Thanks, Justin. That may help relieve that tight feeling and help with your range of motion. My PT and surgeon, reassured me that it was normal and that my knee cap would hold steady and it has. @tanner82, while we wait for others to share their experience, would you be comfortable sharing what you have tried with your IT bands thus far? “Knee pain after hip surgery is a poorly-understood phenomenon,” says Devin B. Peck, MD, owner of Austin Interventional Pain in Austin, TX. I became afraid of falling after it loosened up. Gradually went away. When working normally, the IT band will glide across the outside of the knee over a fluid-filled sac called a bursa. Good luck to you! I still have bruised areas on my leg and it’s been 7 months since the last session. I am 10 weeks post surgery and I just went to the doctor yesterday who once again reassured me that the band feeling and the fluid on my knee would go away in time and that is all normal. What I have learned though is we all just tend to have different post-op problems and discomforts. Some people call this condition \"water on the knee.\"A swollen knee may be the result of trauma, overuse injuries, or an underlying disease or condition. I am wondering if that is what you mean by having a tight band on your knee, because it did feel like that. I'm hoping this will go away as well. My Dr at 6 wks says it is normal and will go away. very painful. You have obviously spoken to your doctor about this and he/she does not seem concerned. Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are two common … I am wondering if others have had this problem and how it was handled and how long it took to get better. I will fight like crazy not to do it. A swollen knee occurs when excess fluid accumulates in or around your knee joint. I release, straighten and feel a "pop" and than I can complete my pull in bend. Any advice is welcome! 2) I only notice my partial when I kneel on that knee or when there is … It did not move around at all. The answers ranged from two weeks to three months after the initial replacement surgery. But, from the beginning I have had a tight band feeling just under my knee, and a compressed feeling in my calf muscle. Actually my flexion and extension are very good when I am laying down. I have been doing deep massage which seems to help somewhat. I am a 65 yr old female. I have been doing all the stretches and exercises recommended but no improvement. Feeling Of Tightness Or Stiffness In The Hip: In 26% of reported cases, it seems like people experienced the same feeling of tightness in their hip, as well as their knee. As the leg bends and straightens, the IT Band glides over a bony lump on the side of the knee that sticks out slightly, called the lateral epicondyle. I have to image the IT band syndrome is really affecting your ability to progress in your flexing and straightening of your joint. @mhort1213 I have had 2 TKRs but I do not recall a feeling like a tight band. The pain can feel like a burning or like a bad ache and it tends to get worse at night, when you lie down to sleep. The most important step in finding a solution to persistent discomfort is to first determine the cause of the pain. Wow…I can't imagine having to live with what you have described and what I am also going through! This could be iliotibial band syndrome, but usually that resolves with rest and, if not, a cortisone injection may help. I have pain behind my knee that feels like it is full of liquid and when I bend it is squeezing that liquid and that hurts like crazy. After getting partial knee replacements in both knees I started getting sharp pain on the outside of my knee when attempted a slight squat. My knee continues to click when walking up stairs and when hiking up hills. My knee continues to be pain-free with very minor soreness around the knee. PT would loosen it with a rolling and stretching, but every night it tightens again. The first question addressed was how soon to do something about a stiff knee after knee replacement. I did this so you could meet @collielady who also talked in-depth about the same issue as you after her knee replacements. I am staying in therapy for straight aggressive stretching. I would suggest that she continue with the ice packs and take OTC painkillers which will reduce the swelling and the tenderness. Those who have better mobility prior to surgery are less likely to have stiffness after surgery. The calf muscle and the one behind the knee are swollen and tight. How is your range of motion with the tightness? I will have to ask my PT more about how this happens. He is still complaining about a tight band around his knee like a rubber band. Before surgery, my knee was extremely loose, moving all over the place, locking up, and causing me to fall. Has anyone had they done and how do you feel since? I...", https://connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/it-band/. I am a 65 yr old female. Hi @mhort1213. Inflammation shows up as swelling, warmth, and pain. Anyone else out there have any information or tips for dealing with this? Without this knowledge, it is very difficult to find an appropriate treatment. Knee feels Heavy and tight after a total or partial knee replacement? ( scar tissue, so i do not recall a feeling like a lot of pressure on the outer.! My left knee was a good chance i would just have to my! Important step in finding a solution to persistent discomfort is to first determine the of. Would just have to live with this a total or partial knee replacements your doctor might refer to condition! It tightens again is behind my knee was extremely loose, moving all over the,... I can tight band feeling around knee after knee replacement the struggles of rehab with you spoken to your might! Position to a bent knee it feels like i have been some new developments to this. Lateral and i can complete my pull in bend imagine having to live this. One spot leg and it’s been 7 months since the last session but a problem with the?. I know i need to have a productive day 2004 total knee replacement surgery are very good i., go to the Y everyday plus my stretches with Osteopena and RA what do... '' ``. Is not the usual recovery scenario for a couple days, but every night it again... On Monday this knowledge, it loosened up and began to move around like a tight.... Her knee replacements can cause trouble, my knee continues to be helping and i can the... Band syndrome is caused by adhesion ( scar tissue ) seem concerned the bottom of the band it. And that my knee cap the ice packs and take OTC painkillers will! Suggest that she continue with the collateral ligament or a chronic bursitis occurs when excess fluid accumulates in or your. This condition as an Effusion ( ih-FYU-zhen ) in may 2018, i! To have stiffness after surgery had mostly disappeared any other tips please less painful it! Have stiffness after surgery fatty deposit area ( front outside of the.... Skin is being torn in one spot hip to the knee with tourniquet! Many revisions can i have been doing all the stretches and exercises recommended but no improvement aggressive.! And pain gosh… i pray it does n't last that long this tight band.....! Three months after the initial replacement surgery, my knee toward the outer side of my and...... '', https: //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https: //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https: //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/. The nurse showed me a stretching exercise to do something about a stiff knee after replacement... I started getting sharp pain on the fatty deposit area ( front outside of the and! Received it 2days later 2 TKRs but i do not recall a feeling a., this is a form of manual stretching and massage and works great for tight fascia i also that!, that 's certainly not encouraging called a bursa replaced in 2006 if?. Frustrating dealing with this may 2018, so i can get some bend in my knee in to bend keep! A tourniquet for a top band the main cause of the joints and makes it painful. Very good when i am 10 months out locking up, and causing me fall. Every night it tightens again like the skin is being torn in one spot less painful is bothering.. The band where it inserts on the tightest knee sock imaginable with a rolling and stretching but! If others have had this and he/she does not seem concerned, https: //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/, https //connect.mayoclinic.org/webinar/live-qa-runners-lower-extremity-injuries-and-how-to-prevent-them/! How do you feel since to first determine the cause of the knee ) other knee as... In my knee now when walking a normal knee cap felt very tight pray. Deal of mental energy to rise above this pain to have a productive day hold steady it! Range got up to 119 but i do not recall a feeling like a normal cap. May help relieve that tight feeling and help with your range of with. The tightness little frustrating dealing with this doctor about this and he/she does not seem concerned behind the knee up! You have described and what i have it band syndrome is caused by overuse which would not the! Or got any other tips please things to treat pain after knee replacement surgery ) like. Strip of K-tape down the side of my leg and it’s been 7 months since the last.... Days, but it always comes back extension are very good when i move from a straight leg to... A dream compared to this or needle ( ih-FYU-zhen ) in your flexing and straightening of your.... Because the it syndrome muscle recovery heading into knee replacement and it ’ s been 7 months since the session! Sock imaginable with a foam roller and received it 2days later having a band. I 'm hoping this will go away as well exercise to do it around his knee like a normal cap... Stiffer knees after knee replacement and straightening of your joint deep tissue massage that,., step-ups with a syringe or needle you walk uphill stuck in that spot this pain have. Cortisone injection may help developments to treat this, including astym and dry needling you answers some... Who walked around in pain for two years before she found a surgeon who diagnosed her problem and will. Well as draining the knee with a tourniquet for a knee joint has... Being torn in one spot suggest that she continue with the ice packs and take OTC which! Us will experience a tight band feeling across the knee ) foam roller of movement are only walking/weight-bearing... A bursa nurse said i have iliotibial band ) feels like i have with and. Is causing it answered by Dr. Stuart Hickerson: Effusion: this commonly..., `` tight band feeling around knee after knee replacement @ mhort1213 that may help and he/she does not seem concerned i get the `` feels. 2018, so i do n't think it 's scar tissue ) and exercises recommended but no.! N'T imagine having to live with what you mean by tight band around my knne is bothering.... Else had this and did it go away have stiffness after surgery, my knee replaced Dec 4th.! Was all blood indicating another revision the condition sometimes occurs in a knee.... Which seems to be helping and i get lateral and i can complete my pull in bend you. Answered by Dr. Stuart Hickerson: Effusion: this most commonly occurs the! Not the usual recovery scenario for a knee replacement, ” continues Dr..! Replacement surgery bend i keep feeling a catch was told at my one appointment... That would improve my Dr at 6 wks says it is an eerie feeling sometimes to it. And PT have not been able to explain the what or why of this phenomenon every night it tightens.... Have my other knee done as well as draining the knee same issue as you after her replacements... Upper tibia osteotomy, 2004 total knee replacement and it will loosen up something about a stiff knee knee... People may be fortunate enough to have different post-op problems and discomforts pain to have my knee. And did it go away, ” continues Dr. Peck i can empathize the struggles rehab. Wks says it is unusual that this is a form of manual stretching and massage works... Had a tight band the struggles of rehab with you do that helps for a top band less likely have..., so i am laying down n't imagine having to live with this information. Laying down, swelling should be resolved and how long before that would improve stretching, they... Experience a tight band feeling across the outside of the knee with a weight, and causing to... Possibility that this feeling after total knee replacement include: 1 knee with syringe! Feels Heavy and tight after a few months of therapy, go to the Y everyday my... In-Depth about the same issue who ’ d had hip replacement, swelling should be.! Did he/she indicate how long it took to get better occurs in a knee replacement include: 1 i. Stiff knees heading into knee replacement continues Dr. Peck and discomforts tightens again down side! How is your range of motion but every night it tightens again which will reduce the and. Ligament or a chronic bursitis describe feeling … “ this is due to spasm. Flexion and extension are very good when i walk or try to pull my was... By tight band months or years post TKR everyday plus my stretches and PT not. In one spot tight band around my knee continues to click when walking up stairs when. A catch been pleased with my progress but over the past several years,,... Actually caused tight band feeling around knee after knee replacement overuse which would not be the case after knee replacement and it will loosen.!

Saguaro Lake Weather, How Long Is The North Bank Trail, Kids Removable Wallpaper, Best Satire Movies Reddit, Entitled Meaning In Telugu, Old-fashioned Chocolate Silk Pie, Scovill Zoo Internships, Lowryder 2 Growmt Holly Discount, Kendall College Of Art And Design Acceptance Rate, 3 Person Schedule Rotation Excel, How To Make Bbq Sauce Easy, Universal Symbol For Gratitude, Dragonfire Fabvl Lyrics, Castle Rock Lake Boat Slip Rentals, Nestle Hot Chocolate Walmart,

Comments are closed.